1N-COUNT (常指带檐的)帽子 A hat is a head covering, often with a brim round it, which is usually worn out of doors to give protection from the weather. (常指带檐的)帽子
2N-COUNT 角色;职位;工作 If you say that someone is wearing a particular hat, you mean that they are performing a particular role at that time. If you say that they wear several hats, you mean that they have several roles or jobs. 角色;职位;工作
...putting on my nationalistic hat.
扮演我的民族主义角色
...various problems, including too many people wearing too many hats.
各种问题,包括有太多的人身兼多职
3PHRASE 毫不犹豫地;非常乐意地 If you say that you are ready to do something at the drop of a hat, you mean that you are willing to do it immediately, without hesitating. 毫不犹豫地;非常乐意地
India is one part of the world I would go to at the drop of a hat.
印度是世界上我迫不及待想要去的一个地方。
4PHRASE 保守秘密 If you tell someone to keep a piece of information under their hat, you are asking them not to tell anyone else about it. 保守秘密
Look, if I tell you something, will you promise to keep it under your hat?.
喂,如果我告诉你一件事,你能答应保守秘密吗?
He kept it all very much under his hat.
在这件事儿上他嘴很紧。
5PHRASE 陈腐;陈旧;老式;过时 If you say that something or someone is old hat, you mean that they have existed or been known for a long time, and they have become uninteresting and boring. 陈腐;陈旧;老式;过时
The younger generation tell me that religion is 'old hat' and science has proved this.
年轻的一代告诉我,宗教已经过时了,科学已证明了这一点。
6PHRASE 募捐,凑份子(美国英语用 pass the hat) In British English, if you pass the hat around, you collect money from a group of people, for example in order to give someone a present. In American English, you just say pass the hat . 募捐,凑份子(美国英语用 pass the hat)
Professors are passing the hat to help staff in their department.
教授们正在凑钱帮助系里的同事。
7PHRASE 赞赏;钦佩 If you say that you take your hat off to someone, you mean that you admire them for something that they have done. 赞赏;钦佩 [approval]
I take my hat off to Mr Clarke for taking this action.
我很钦佩克拉克先生的这一举动。
I was impressed by that, you have to take your hat off to the guy.
我对此印象深刻,你不得不钦佩那个家伙。
8CONVENTION 向…致敬 If you say 'Hats off to someone', you are expressing admiration for them. 向…致敬 [approval]
Hats off to them for supporting the homeless.
向他们帮扶无家可归者的善举致敬!
9PHRASE (常指没落时)出乎意料地获取(胜利、成功) To pull something out of the hat means to do something unexpected which helps you to succeed, often when you are failing. (常指没落时)出乎意料地获取(胜利、成功)
Southampton had somehow managed to pull another Cup victory out of the hat.
南安普敦队最终还是出乎意料地又一次获得了足总杯赛的胜利。
10PHRASE (比赛中挑选胜出者时)随机地,任意地 In competitions, if you say that the winners will be drawn or picked out of the hat, you mean that they will be chosen randomly, so everyone has an equal chance of winning. (比赛中挑选胜出者时)随机地,任意地
The first 10 correct entries drawn out of the hat will win a pair of tickets, worth £20 each.
随机抽出的前10位答对问题者将获得两张票,每张价值20英镑。
11 to knock something into a cocked hat→see: cocked hat