Often pronounced 'ɪf/ at the beginning of the sentence. 在句首常重读。
1 CONJ-SUBORD (表示条件或假设)假如,如果,要是 You use
if in conditional sentences to introduce the circumstances in which an event or situation might happen, might be happening, or might have happened.
(表示条件或假设)假如,如果,要是 -
She gets very upset if I exclude her from anything.
要是有什么事情我不让她参加,她会非常难过。
-
You'll feel a lot better about yourself if you work on solutions to your upsetting situations.
如果你设法找到解决自己麻烦的办法,你自我感觉会好得多。
-
You can go if you want.
你要是想走就可以走。
-
If you would like to send a donation to Cobuild, please enclose a cheque with your coupon.
如果你想为Cobuild语料库捐款,请随订货单附上支票。
-
If you went into town, you'd notice all the pubs have loud jukeboxes.
如果你进了城,你会注意到所有的酒吧都有音量很大的自动点唱机。
-
What I did was right and if I had done anything less it would have been wrong.
我做的一切都是正确的,如果我少做了一点点,就会出错。
-
Fry remaining peppers, adding a little more dressing if necessary.
用油炸一下剩下的辣椒,如果需要再加点调味汁。
-
Do you have a knack for coming up with ideas? If so, we would love to hear from you.
你有什么能想出好点子的诀窍吗?如果有,我们很愿意收到你的来信。
SYN when, whenever, every time, any time
2 CONJ-SUBORD (用于间接疑问句)是否 You use
if in indirect questions where the answer is either 'yes' or 'no'.
(用于间接疑问句)是否 SYN whether
3 CONJ-SUBORD [with neg] (表示与句子主要部分的陈述稍有不同)即便,纵然,虽然 You use
if to suggest that something might be slightly different from what you are stating in the main part of the sentence, for example that there might be slightly more or less of a particular quality.
(表示与句子主要部分的陈述稍有不同)即便,纵然,虽然 -
Sometimes, that standard is quite difficult, if not impossible, to achieve.
有时即便有可能达到那个标准,那也是非常困难。
-
I'm working on my fitness and I will be ready in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.
我正在调养身体,最多两三周以后就可以了。
-
Many, if not most, scientific papers are presented orally at scientific meetings.
许多科学论文,即便不是大多数,都是以口头形式在科学会议上发表的。
-
What one quality, if any, do you like the most about your partner?.
你最喜欢你伴侣的哪一点,假如有的话?
-
Meat was available once a week if at all.
就算有肉,也是每周才吃一次。
4 CONJ-SUBORD 如果…可以的话(通常与can,could, may 或 might 连用,在谈话中礼貌地提出自己的观点、转换话题或打断对方) You use
if, usually with 'can', 'could', 'may', or 'might', at a point in a conversation when you are politely trying to make a point, change the subject, or interrupt another speaker.
如果…可以的话(通常与can,could, may 或 might 连用,在谈话中礼貌地提出自己的观点、转换话题或打断对方) -
If I could just make another small point about the weightlifters in the Olympics.
请允许我就有关奥运会举重运动员的问题再补充一点。
-
So, if we may return strictly to athletics again for a few minutes.
因此,如果我们可以再花几分钟重新回到田径运动话题上来的话……
-
But if I can interrupt, Joe, I don't think anybody here is personally blaming the Germans.
但是请允许我打断一下,乔,我认为在场的任何人都没有谴责德国人的意思。
-
Well, it's the old argument Max, which is a bit ridiculous if you don't mind me saying so.
哦,马克斯,又是那个很老套且有点儿荒谬的争论,如果你不介意我这么说的话。
-
Well if you want my opinion, unless you do it soon you're gonna lose the opportunity and you'll be really sorry.
如果你想听我的意见,你应该尽快做那事,否则你会失去机会,并且会非常遗憾。
5 CONJ-SUBORD (用于句首,表示礼貌地请求某人做某事) You use
if at or near the beginning of a clause when politely asking someone to do something.
(用于句首,表示礼貌地请求某人做某事) [politeness] -
I wonder if you'd be kind enough to give us some information, please?
请问您能不能给我们提供一些信息?
-
If you will just sign here, we will arrange for your bank to deduct your payments automatically.
麻烦您在这里签一下字,我们将联系您的银行自动扣除您的付款。
6 CONJ-SUBORD (用于引导从句中较次要的事实)即便 You use
if to introduce a subordinate clause in which you admit a fact which you regard as less important than the statement in the main clause.
(用于引导从句中较次要的事实)即便 -
If there was any disappointment it was probably temporary.
即便有点儿失望,也肯定是暂时的。
-
Even if I'm overstating the case for nutrition, at least it will result in the woman being in charge of her own symptoms.
即便我夸大了营养的重要性,但至少它会让这个女人知道关注自己的症状。
-
So what if sometimes they stayed rather late, it doesn't mean anything.
因此,即便有时他们熬夜到很晚,那也说明不了什么。
7 PHR-CONJ-SUBORD 要是不;即使不 You use
if not in front of a word or phrase to indicate that your statement does not apply to that word or phrase, but to something closely related to it that you also mention.
要是不;即使不 -
A number of recent advances hold out if not the hope of a cure, then at least the possibility of some drug which could stop the spread of the virus.
近来的一些进展即使不能提供治愈的希望,也至少有望研制出来某种药物来阻止病毒的传播。
-
She understood his meaning, if not his words, and took his advice.
她即便没听懂他的话,也明白了他的意思,并且接受了他的建议。
8 PHR-CONJ-SUBORD (用于过去时,加强语气)如果真的… You use
if ever with past tenses when you are introducing a description of a person or thing, to emphasize how appropriate it is.
(用于过去时,加强语气)如果真的… [emphasis] -
I became a distraught, worried mother, a useless role if ever there was one.
我变成了一个忧心如焚的母亲,一个全无用处的角色。
-
If ever there was the right person in the right job it was she.
要是真的有才尽其用的人,那就是她。
-
If ever a man needed your love, I need it.
如果说真有一个男人需要你的爱,那就是我。
9 PHR-CONJ-SUBORD (与过去时连用,引出一个相对合理的理由)即使仅仅为了(或因为)… You use
if only with past tenses to introduce what you think is a fairly good reason for doing something, although you realize it may not be a very good one.
(与过去时连用,引出一个相对合理的理由)即使仅仅为了(或因为)… -
She writes me often, if only to scold me because I haven't written to her.
她常来信,即使仅仅为了责怪我还没回信给她。
-
A one-to-one meeting with the US President was necessary, if only for a deeper exchange of views.
与美国总统一对一的会谈是必要的,即便仅仅是为了双方观点更深入的交流。
10 PHR-CONJ-SUBORD 要是…多好 You use
if only to express a wish or desire, especially one that cannot be fulfilled.
要是…多好 [feelings] -
If only you had told me that some time ago.
要是你早些时候告诉我该多好啊!
-
If only it were that simple!.
要是那么简单就好了!
-
'Hey, listen to me, all that 1980 nonsense is over.' — 'If only, Timothy, if only.'
“嗨,听我说,所有那些 1980 年的无聊之事都结束了。”—“要是这样就好了,蒂莫西,要是这样就好了。”
11 PHR-CONJ-SUBORD (表示判断)好像,仿佛,似乎 You use
as if when you are making a judgment about something that you see or notice. Your belief or impression might be correct, or it might be wrong.
(表示判断)好像,仿佛,似乎 -
The whole room looks as if it has been lovingly put together over the years.
整个房间看起来好像是经过了多年的精心布置。
-
His heart was pounding, as if he were frightened.
他的心怦怦跳,似乎被吓坏了。
12 PHR-CONJ-SUBORD (表示类比)好像,仿佛,似乎 You use
as if to describe something or someone by comparing them with another thing or person.
(表示类比)好像,仿佛,似乎 -
He points two fingers at his head, as if he were holding a gun.
他把两根手指指向他的头,仿佛他正举着一支枪。
-
The two cousins looked as if they'd been carved from blocks of ice.
两个堂姊妹看起来像由冰块雕刻而成。
13 PHR-CONJ-SUBORD (强调某物不是真的)好像…一样,仿佛,似乎 You use
as if to emphasize that something is not true.
(强调某物不是真的)好像…一样,仿佛,似乎 [spoken, emphasis] -
My husband, for some unknown reason, suggested that I loved my birds more than him: as if I would.
我丈夫,莫名其妙地,暗示我爱鸟甚于爱他:仿佛我真如此似的。
-
Getting my work done! My God! As if it mattered.
把我的工作做完!老天!好像它真的很重要似的。
14 PHRASE 要说真有什么的话;甚至正相反 You use '
if anything' to introduce something which strengthens or changes the meaning of the statement you have just made, but only in a small or unimportant way.
要说真有什么的话;甚至正相反 -
Living together didn't harm our friendship. If anything it strengthened it.
在一起住并没有损害我们的友谊。要说真有什么的话,它反而巩固了我们的友谊。
-
Asthma drugs are not addictive and you don't need to keep increasing the dose. If anything, the reverse is true.
哮喘药物不会造成药物依赖,你不用持续增大剂量。甚至正相反,减小剂量才对。
15 PHRASE 显然不是 You use '
It's not as if' to introduce a statement which, if it were true, might explain something puzzling, although in fact it is not true.
显然不是 16 PHRASE (用于给人建议)如果我是你的话 You say '
if I were you' to someone when you are giving them advice.
(用于给人建议)如果我是你的话 -
If I were you, Mrs Gretchen, I just wouldn't worry about it.
要是我是你,格蕾琴夫人,我一点都不会担心。
-
What I'd do if I were you is be nice to him.
如果我是你,我要做的就是对他好。
-
I should lie down for a bit, if I were you.
如果我是你,我就会躺一会儿。
View usage for:All yearsLast 10 yearsLast 50 yearsLast 100 yearsLast 300 years