Well is used mainly in spoken English. well主要用于口语。
1以下义项中未列的表达方式请参见第13项。 Please look at category 13 to see if the expression you are looking for is shown under another headword. 以下义项中未列的表达方式请参见第13项。
2ADV (用于表示想要开口说话)嗯,唔 You say well to indicate that you are about to say something. (用于表示想要开口说话)嗯,唔
Sylvia shook hands. 'Well, you go get yourselves some breakfast.'.
西尔维娅摆了摆手说:“嗯,你们自己去吃些早餐吧。”
Well, I don't like the look of that.
唔,我不喜欢事情看起来的样子。
3ADV (用于表示想要继续话题)这个,不过 You say well to indicate that you intend or want to carry on speaking. (用于表示想要继续话题)这个,不过
You can lose your perspective. You know, get paranoid? Well, that's something I really try and avoid.
你会失去自己的判断力。知道吗,就是变得疑神疑鬼?这正是我努力想避免的。
The trouble with City is that they do not have enough quality players. Well, that can easily be rectified.
曼城队的难题在于他们缺乏优秀球员。不过,这种情况很容易改变。
4ADV (用于转换话题)对了,好了 You say well to indicate that you are changing the topic, and are either going back to something that was being discussed earlier or are going on to something new. (用于转换话题)对了,好了
Thank you Lionel, for singing that for us. Well, we'd better tell you what's on the show between nine and midnight.
谢谢你的歌声,莱昂内尔。好了,我们来看看从9点到午夜都播出什么节目。
Well, let's press on.
好了,让我们继续努力。
5ADV (用于表示谈话结束)好吧,好了 You say well to indicate that you have reached the end of a conversation. (用于表示谈话结束)好吧,好了
'I'm sure you will be an asset,' she finally added. 'Well, I see it's just about time for lunch.'.
“我相信你会是一个有用的人才,”她最后加上一句,“好了,我看该吃午饭了。”
Well, thank you for speaking with us.
好吧,谢谢你和我们谈话。
6ADV (用于委婉地提出建议、批评、更正等)那么,嗯 You say well to make a suggestion, criticism, or correction seem less definite or rude. (用于委婉地提出建议、批评、更正等)那么,嗯
Well, maybe it would be easier to start with a smaller problem.
那么,也许从小问题入手会更容易些。
Well, let's wait and see.
那么,让我们等着看吧。
Well, I thought she was a bit unfair about me.
嗯,我觉得她对我有点不公平。
7ADV (用于停顿之前或之后,尤为给自己留出思考的时间)嗯,唔 You say well just before or after you pause, especially to give yourself time to think about what you are going to say. (用于停顿之前或之后,尤为给自己留出思考的时间)嗯,唔
Look, I'm really sorry I woke you, and, well, I just wanted to tell you I was all right.
听我说,我真抱歉吵醒你,嗯,我只是想告诉你我一切都好。
8ADV (用于更正刚说过的话)噢 You say well when you are correcting something that you have just said. (用于更正刚说过的话)噢
The comet is going to come back in 2061 and we are all going to be able to see it. Well, our offspring are, anyway.
彗星将在2061年返回,到时我们都看得到。噢,反正我们的子孙看得到。
There was a note. Well, not really a note.
那儿有张便条,噢,其实不算是便条。
9ADV (用于对他人所说的话表示怀疑)哦 You say well to express your doubt about something that someone has said. (用于对他人所说的话表示怀疑)哦 [feelings]
'But finance is far more serious.' — 'Well I don't know really.'
“但是财政更加困难了。”—“是吗,我真不知道。”
'Go on, Dennis.' — 'Well, if you're sure.'
“继续啊,丹尼斯。”—“哦,如果你确定的话。”
10EXCLAM (用于表示惊讶或气愤)啊,哟,好啦 You say well to express your surprise or anger at something that someone has just said or done. (用于表示惊讶或气愤)啊,哟,好啦 [feelings]
'Imelda,' said Mrs Kennerly. 'That's my name, Tom.' — 'Well,' said Tom. 'Imelda. I never knew.'.
Well, honestly! They're like an old married couple at times.
哦,天哪!他们有时看起来真像一对老夫老妻。
11CONVENTION (用于等待他人回应,常表示不耐烦)嗯,那么,接着呢 You say well to indicate that you are waiting for someone to say something and often to express your irritation with them. (用于等待他人回应,常表示不耐烦)嗯,那么,接着呢 [feelings]
'Well?' asked Barry, 'what does it tell us?'.
“嗯?”巴里问道,“它到底告诉我们什么?”
'Well, why don't you ask me?' he said finally.
“嗯,那你为什么不问我呢?”他最后问道。
12CONVENTION (用于表示被听到或见到的所逗乐并常引出评论)哟,好啦 You use well to indicate that you are amused by something you have heard or seen, and often to introduce a comment on it. (用于表示被听到或见到的所逗乐并常引出评论)哟,好啦 [feelings]
Well, well, well, look at you. Ethel, look at this little fat girl.
哟,哟,看看你啊,埃塞尔,看看这个小胖姑娘啊。
Bob peered at it. 'Well, well!' he said, 'I haven't seen Spam since the war!' and laughed.
鲍勃仔细瞧了一眼,说道:“哇,哇!自从战后我就再也没见过午餐肉了!”然后笑了起来。
13CONVENTION (用于表示勉强接受)算了 You say oh well to indicate that you accept a situation or that someone else should accept it, even though you or they are not very happy about it, because it is not too bad and cannot be changed. (用于表示勉强接受)算了 [feelings]
4COMB in ADJ-GRADED (用于过去分词前表示达到很高标准或极大程度)Well is used in front of past participles to indicate that something is done to a high standard or to a great extent. (用于过去分词前表示达到很高标准或极大程度)
Helen is a very well-known novelist in Australia.
海伦是澳大利亚非常著名的小说家。
People live longer nowadays, and they are better educated.
当今,人们越来越长寿,受教育程度也提高了。
British nurses were among the best trained in Europe.
英国护士位居欧洲最训练有素的护士之列。
5ADV-GRADED (标准或程度)多少,怎样 You use well to ask or talk about the extent or standard of something. (标准或程度)多少,怎样
How well do you remember your mother, Franzi?.
关于你妈妈你还记得多少,弗兰齐?
This new career doesn't pay nearly as well as the old one.
这份新工作的薪水还不如原来那份多。
Their captain said his team had played as well as it possibly could.
队长说他们队发挥出了最佳水平。
He wasn't dressed any better than me.
他穿得也比我好不了哪去。
6ADV (用于介词短语前表示强调)大大地,远远地 You use well in front of a prepositional phrase to emphasize it. For example, if you say that one thing happened well before another, you mean that it happened a long time before it. (用于介词短语前表示强调)大大地,远远地 [emphasis]
Franklin did not turn up until well after midnight. [+ after]
富兰克林直到午夜过后很久才出现。
We often plan our meals well in advance.
我们经常很早就计划好要吃什么。
They had remained silent until they were well away from the house.
他们直到离那所房子很远后才开口说话。
There are well over a million Muslims in Britain. [+ over]
英国的穆斯林远远超过了一百万。
SYN considerably, easily, very much, significantly
7ADV-GRADED [ADVERB adjective](用于某些形容词前表示强调)很,相当 You use well before certain adjectives to emphasize them. (用于某些形容词前表示强调)很,相当 [emphasis]
She has a close group of friends who are very well aware of what she has suffered.
8ADV [ADVERB adjective](置于描述情感的形容词前表示强调)非常 Some people use well before adjectives referring to feelings to emphasize that the feeling is very strong. (置于描述情感的形容词前表示强调)非常 [informal, emphasis]
It was about the only time I got up the field in the whole game so I was well happy with my goal.
9ADV [adv ADV, ADVERB with verb](用于 perfectly,jolly,damn 等副词后,强调观点或真相) You use well after adverbs such as 'perfectly', 'jolly', or 'damn' in order to emphasize an opinion or the truth of what you are saying. (用于 perfectly,jolly,damn 等副词后,强调观点或真相) [emphasis]
You know perfectly well I can't be blamed for the failure of that mission.
你很清楚那次任务的失败不该怪我。
I'd got myself into this marriage and I jolly well had to get myself out of it.
是我让自己陷入到这场婚姻中,我也一定要让自己从其中脱身。
10ADV (用于may,could等动词后,表示可能发生)有理由地,很可能地 You use well after verbs such as 'may' and 'could' when you are saying what you think is likely to happen. (用于may,could等动词后,表示可能发生)有理由地,很可能地 [emphasis]
The murderer may well come from the estate.
凶手很可能来自那个庄园。
Ours could well be the last generation for which moviegoing has a sense of magic.
1PHRASE 也;还 You use as well when mentioning something which happens in the same way as something else already mentioned, or which should be considered at the same time as that thing. 也;还
It is most often diagnosed in women in their thirties and forties, although I've seen it in many younger women, as well.
这种病一般多发于三四十岁的女性,但我也见过许多更年轻的女性患这种病。
'What do you like about it then?' — 'Erm, the history, the shops—people are quite friendly as well.'
“那么你喜欢这儿的什么?”—“嗯,它的历史啦,商店啦,还有这儿的人也都很友好。”
Andy's face paled with disappointment; perhaps with anger as well.
3PHRASE 情理之中地;毫不奇怪地 If you say, after stating that something has happened or is the case, as well it might or as well it may, you mean that this is not at all surprising or is quite appropriate. 情理之中地;毫不奇怪地
This caused a few gasps, as well it might.
这毫不奇怪地引得一些人倒吸凉气。
You can see he's terrified, as well he might be after what we've been through.
你能看出他被吓着了,考虑到我们经历过的事情,这种反应很正常。
4PHRASE 幸亏 If you say that something that has happened is just as well, you mean that it is fortunate that it happened in the way it did. 幸亏
Blue asbestos is far less common in buildings, which is just as well because it's more dangerous than white asbestos.
蓝石棉在建筑中很不常见,这倒是一件幸事,因为它比白石棉危险得多。
Judging from everything you've said, it was just as well she wasn't there.
从你所说的这一切来看,幸好她不在那儿。
5PHRASE (用于建议某一特定思路或行动)最好(做…) You say it is as well to think or do something when you are advising someone to think in a particular way or to take a particular action. (用于建议某一特定思路或行动)最好(做…)
It is as well to bear in mind that laughter is a great releaser of tension.
你最好记住大笑是消除紧张情绪的良方。
6PHR-MODAL (用于建议或推荐)应该(去做…) If you say that someone would do well to do something, you mean that you advise or recommend that they do it. (用于建议或推荐)应该(去做…)
He would do well to remember that, sooner or later, everyone's luck runs out.
他可别忘了任何人的运气早晚都会用完的。
Investors would do well to take a look at the Swiss economy.
投资者应该关注一下瑞士的经济。
7PHRASE (几乎)和…一样 If you say that something, usually something bad, might as well be true or may as well be true, you mean that the situation is the same or almost the same as if it were true. (几乎)和…一样
The couple might as well have been strangers.
这对夫妇形同陌路。
We might just as well be in prison for all the quality our lives have at present.
我们现在的生活状况跟蹲监狱差不了多少。
8PHRASE 只好(做);(做…)也无妨 If you say that you might as well do something, or that you may as well do it, you mean that you will do it although you do not have a strong desire to do it and may even feel slightly unwilling to do it. 只好(做);(做…)也无妨
If I've got to go somewhere I may as well go to Birmingham.
如果要去什么地方,那就去伯明翰吧。
Anyway, you're here; you might as well stay.
反正你已经在这儿了,那就留下来吧。
I'll come with you if you like. I might as well.
如果你想的话,我会和你在一起来。我无所谓。
9PHRASE 尽可如此 If you say that something is all well and good, you are suggesting that it has faults or disadvantages, although it may appear to be correct or reasonable. 尽可如此
It's all well and good for him to say he's sorry for dropping you, but has he told you why he did it? [+ for]
他尽可为甩了你这事向你道歉。可他有没有告诉你为什么这样做啊?
10PHRASE 固然很好;也好 You say well and good or all well and good to indicate that you would be pleased if something happens but you are aware that it has some disadvantages. 固然很好;也好
If they arrive before I leave, well and good. If not, the responsibility will be mine.
如果他们在我离开之前到达,那自然很好。但如果不是的话,那责任就是我的了。
This is all well and good, but we have to look at the situation in the long term.
这样固然很好,但我们必须从长远的角度来看待这一情形。
11PHRASE [VERB inflects]幸而摆脱了;幸而不受牵连 If you say to someone who is no longer involved in a situation that they are well out of it, you mean that it is a good thing they are no longer involved and they should be pleased about this. 幸而摆脱了;幸而不受牵连 [mainly British]
I hated the Cold War. I think we're very well out of it.
我痛恨冷战。幸亏我们没有卷进去。
12PHRASE 完全;彻底 If you say that something is well and truly finished, gone, or done, you are emphasizing that it is completely finished or gone, or thoroughly done. 完全;彻底 [mainly British, emphasis]
The war is well and truly over.
战争已经彻底结束了。
...the relief of knowing that a problem was well and truly solved.
知道问题已经彻底解决了的如释重负
The greenhouse effect is well and truly with us.
我们完全处于温室效应中。
13PHRASE [PHRASE after verb]还不错;还好 If you say that you like something or someone well enough, you mean that you quite like them or find them reasonably acceptable. 还不错;还好
Nancy liked it well enough, but complained about the color.
南希还蛮喜欢它,只是有点不满意它的颜色。
Crook liked her well enough, but remained indifferent to her feminine charms.
克鲁格还比较喜欢她,只是对她的女性魅力却始终无动于衷。
14all very well→see: all to know full well→see: full to leave well alone→see: leave to mean well→see: mean pretty well→see: pretty