1ADV [ADVERB before verb]刚才;方才;刚刚 You use just to say that something happened a very short time ago, or is starting to happen at the present time. For example, if you say that someone has just arrived, you mean that they arrived a very short time ago. 刚才;方才;刚刚
I've just bought a new house.
我刚买了栋新房子。
The two had only just met.
这两个人只不过才刚刚认识。
I just had the most awful dream.
我刚做了个非常可怕的梦。
I'm only just beginning to take it in that he's still missing.
2ADV [ADVERB before verb, ADVabout/going to-inf]正在;正要;正准备 If you say that you are just doing something, you mean that you are doing it now and will finish it very soon. If you say that you are just about to do something, or just going to do it, you mean that you will do it very soon. 正在;正要;正准备
I'm just making the sauce for the cauliflower.
我正在弄花椰菜的调味汁呢。
I'm just going to walk down the lane now and post some letters.
我正打算沿这条小巷往南走,去寄几封信。
The Vietnam War was just about to end.
那时越南战争就要结束了。
3ADV [ADV adv/prep](用于强调)正,就,恰恰(在某个时刻) You can use just to emphasize that something is happening at exactly the moment of speaking or at exactly the moment that you are talking about. (用于强调)正,就,恰恰(在某个时刻) [emphasis]
Randall would just now be getting the Sunday paper.
兰德尔这个时候应该正在拿周日的报纸。
Just then the phone rang.
正在那时,电话响了。
I remember now. He arrived just at the moment it happened.
现在我想起来了,他恰恰在事情发生的时候到了。
Just as she prepared to set off to the next village, two friends arrived in a taxi.
正当她准备出发去下一个村子时,两个朋友乘出租车来了。
4ADV (尤用于纠正错误的观点)只是,仅仅是 You use just to indicate that something is no more important, interesting, or difficult, for example, than you say it is, especially when you want to correct a wrong idea that someone may get or has already got. (尤用于纠正错误的观点)只是,仅仅是 [emphasis]
It's just a suggestion.
这只是个建议。
It's not just a financial matter.
这不仅仅是资金的问题。
You can tell just by looking at me that I am all right.
你只用看看我就知道我很好了。
The reason women are drinking is just because they like it.
5ADV [ADVERB n](用于强调所谈的只是一小部分而非全部)仅仅是,只不过是 You use just to emphasize that you are talking about a small part, not the whole of an amount. (用于强调所谈的只是一小部分而非全部)仅仅是,只不过是 [emphasis]
That's just one example of the kind of experiments you can do.
这只不过是你可以做的各种试验中的一例罢了。
These are just a few of the many options available.
这些只不过是众多可能的选择中的几个。
6ADV (用于强调数量少或时间短)只是,仅仅 You use just to emphasize how small an amount is or how short a length of time is. (用于强调数量少或时间短)只是,仅仅 [emphasis]
Stephanie and David redecorated a room in just three days.
斯蒂法妮和戴维仅仅花了3天就把一个房间装饰一新。
Remember he's just fourteen years old.
记住,他才14岁。
7ADV [ADVERB before verb](用于动词前表示事情的结果糟糕,很可能导致局面恶化)只(会),只不过 You can use just in front of a verb to indicate that the result of something is unfortunate or undesirable and is likely to make the situation worse rather than better. (用于动词前表示事情的结果糟糕,很可能导致局面恶化)只(会),只不过
Leaving like I did just made it worse.
像我那样一走了之只会让事情变得更糟。
They just hurt the people in their community, they didn't really solve any problem.
他们只是伤害了他们社区的居民,并没有真正解决任何问题。
8ADV (用于表示情况在很小的程度上属实)刚刚,勉强,差一点就不 You use just to indicate that what you are saying is the case, but only by a very small degree or amount. (用于表示情况在很小的程度上属实)刚刚,勉强,差一点就不
Her hand was just visible by the light from the sitting room.
借着起居室的灯光,勉强能看见她的手。
It was Colin's voice, only just audible.
那是科林的声音,勉强能听得见。
I arrived just in time for my flight to London.
我差一点就没赶上去伦敦的飞机。
Jack took out his notes and talked for just under an hour.
杰克掏出他的笔记,讲了将近一个小时。
He could just reach the man's head with his right hand.
9ADV (与might,may和could连用,表示稍有可能)可能,也许 You use just with 'might,' 'may,' and 'could', when you mean that there is a small chance of something happening, even though it is not very likely. (与might,may和could连用,表示稍有可能)可能,也许
It's an old trick but it just might work.
这是个老掉牙的把戏了,不过也许会有用。
It may just be possible.
那也许有可能。
10ADV [ADVERB before verb](用于加强语气,表示生气、赞美、肯定等)硬是,就是,简直 You use just to emphasize the following word or phrase, in order to express feelings such as annoyance, admiration, or certainty. (用于加强语气,表示生气、赞美、肯定等)硬是,就是,简直 [emphasis]
She just won't relax.
她就是放松不下来。
I knew you'd be here. I just knew.
我知道你会在这儿的。我就是知道。
Isn't it fantastic? Just look at that!.
这是不是棒极了?看看那个!
Just think, we should be home this time tomorrow.
想象一下,明天的这个时候我们就到家了。
I don't see the point in it really. It's just stupid.
我真的不理解这到底有什么意义,简直是愚蠢透顶。
Isn't he just the most beautiful thing you ever saw?
他难道不是你见过的最美的事物么?
11ADV [ADVERB before verb](用于指示、礼貌的请求或表示意图的陈述,用来弱化语气)请,只要,只管…就好了 You use just with instructions, polite requests, or statements of intention, to make your request or statement seem less difficult. (用于指示、礼貌的请求或表示意图的陈述,用来弱化语气)请,只要,只管…就好了 [spoken]
Could you just give us a description of your cat?.
能否请您向我们描述一下您的猫?
Can you just lift the table for a second?.
你把桌子抬起来一下好吗?
I'm just going to ask you a bit more about your father's business.
我只想再问一点儿有关你父亲的生意的情况。
Just add water, milk and butter.
只要加水、牛奶和黄油就行了。
I'd just like to mention that, personally, I don't think it's wise.
我只是想说,就我个人而言,我认为这并不明智。
Just wait for me in the lounge.
请在休息室里等我就行了。
12ADV [ADVERB n]请稍候;稍等一下 You use just in expressions such as just a minute and just a moment to ask someone to wait for a short time. 请稍候;稍等一下 [spoken]
'Let me in, Di.' — 'Okay. Just a minute.'
“让我进来,迪。”—“好的。稍等一下。”
13ADV [ADVERB n](用于打断某人,以表示不同意、解释某事或让其保持冷静)稍等一下,且慢 You can use just in expressions such as just a minute and just a moment to interrupt someone, for example in order to disagree with them, explain something, or calm them down. (用于打断某人,以表示不同意、解释某事或让其保持冷静)稍等一下,且慢 [spoken]
Well, now just a second, I don't altogether agree with the premise.
嗯,且慢,我并不完全同意这个前提。
14ADV [with neg](用于否定附加问句,表示完全赞同)难道不是吗,确实如此 You can use just with negative question tags, for example 'isn't he just?' and 'don't they just!', to say that you agree completely with what has been said. (用于否定附加问句,表示完全赞同)难道不是吗,确实如此 [British, spoken, emphasis]
'That's crazy,' I said. 'Isn't it just?' he said.
“那简直是疯了,”我说。“谁说不是呢?”他说。
'The manager's going to have some tough decisions to make.' — 'Won't he just.'
“经理将要作一些非常艰难的决定。”—“确实如此。”
15ADV [ADVERB before verb](表示完全可以想象)完全,简直 If you say that you can just see or hear something, you mean that it is easy for you to imagine seeing or hearing it. (表示完全可以想象)完全,简直
I can just see the nasty suspicious looks I'd be getting from you if we started whispering together.
要是我们开始凑在一起交头接耳,我简直能想象到你那种令人讨厌的怀疑的目光了。
I can just hear her telling her friends, 'Well, I blame his mother!'
我简直能听到她和她的朋友们说,“哎呀,都是他妈妈的错!”
16ADV 确切地;精确地 You use just to mean exactly, when you are specifying something precisely or asking for precise information. 确切地;精确地
It is really not clear just why he became a Socialist.
他为何成为社会党人的确切原因实际上还不清楚。
There are no statistics about just how many people won't vote.
没有统计数字表明具体将有多少人不参加投票。
My arm hurts too, just here.
我的胳膊也疼,就是这里。
That's Warwick Road, just opposite Earls Court tube station.
那是沃里克路,就在伯爵宫地铁站对面。
17ADV [ADVERB n]恰恰是;正是 You use just to emphasize that a particular thing is exactly what is needed or fits a particular description exactly. 恰恰是;正是 [emphasis]
Kiwi fruit are just the thing for a healthy snack.
猕猴桃作为有益健康的零食是再好不过了。
'Let's get a coffee somewhere.'—'I know just the place.'
“我们找个地方喝杯咖啡吧。”—“我知道个好地方。”
...the bottle of whiskey that we had stashed behind the bookcase for just this eventuality.
18ADV [ADVlike n, ADVas adj/adv, ADVERB n]正(如);正(像) You use just in expressions such as just like ,just as...as, and just the same when you are emphasizing the similarity between two things or two people. 正(如);正(像) [emphasis]
Behind the facade they are just like the rest of us.
在那副外表背后,他们和我们大家是完全一样的。
He worked just as hard as anyone.
他和所有人一样非常努力。
At 62 years old, her voice sounded just the same as it did when she was 21.
她62岁了,但嗓音还和21岁时一模一样。
19PHRASE 差不多;几乎;近乎 You use just about to indicate that what you are talking about is so close to being the case that it can be regarded as being the case. 差不多;几乎;近乎
There are those who believe that Nick Price is just about the best golfer in the world.
有一些人认为尼克·普赖斯几乎就是世界上最优秀的高尔夫球运动员了。
What does she read? Just about everything.
她看些什么书?几乎什么都看。
'His memory must be completely back, then?' — 'Just about.'
20PHRASE 勉强;差一点就不 You use just about to indicate that what you are talking about is in fact the case, but only by a very small degree or amount. 勉强;差一点就不
21PHRASE [PHR amount](用于表示接近于某一具体数量)几乎,差不多Just on is used in mentioning an almost exact number or amount. (用于表示接近于某一具体数量)几乎,差不多 [British]
Eve, squinting at the clock, saw it was just on 7 a.m.
伊夫眯着眼瞥了一下钟,看到差不多是早上7点钟。
Many were retired people, and just on a fifth were in their fifties.
许多都是退休的人,其中差不多有五分之一年龄在五十多岁。
22CONVENTION 对极了;正是Just so is used to agree with or confirm a statement that has been made. 对极了;正是 [British, old-fashioned, spoken] [British, old-fashioned, spoken]
'She has a large flat in Mayfair.' — 'Just so.'
“她在梅费尔有个大公寓。”—“正是。”
23PHRASE 严格按照要求的 If things are just so, they are done or arranged exactly as they should be or exactly as someone wants them. 严格按照要求的
I do her hair, and it has to be just so.
我必须得按她的要求为她做头发。
24PHRASE [PHRASE cl](用于弱化抱怨、给出建议或理由时的语气)只不过,只是 You use the expression it's just that when you are making a complaint, suggestion, or excuse, so that the person you are talking to will not get annoyed with you. (用于弱化抱怨、给出建议或理由时的语气)只不过,只是
I'm sorry I struck you. I didn't mean to. It's just that I was so mad.
很抱歉我打了你。我不是有意的,只不过我当时气极了。
Your hair is all right; it's just that you need a haircut.
你的头发挺好的;只是你需要剪剪了。
25just my luck→see: luck not just→see: not just now→see: now only just→see: only it just goes to show→see: show
Quotations
Thrice is he arm'd that hath his quarrel justWilliam ShakespeareHenry VI, part II
1ADJ-GRADED 公正的;正当的;正义的;合理的 If you describe a situation, action, or idea as just, you mean that it is right or acceptable according to particular moral principles, such as respect for all human beings. 公正的;正当的;正义的;合理的 [formal]
In a just society there must be a system whereby people can seek redress through the courts.
在一个公正的社会中,一定会有一套人们可以通过法庭寻求赔偿的体制。
She fought honestly for a just cause and for freedom.
她为了正义的事业和自由而光明正大地斗争。
Was Pollard's life sentence just or was it too severe?