1PRON 那,那个(指代前面句子里提到的) You use that to refer back to an idea or situation expressed in a previous sentence or sentences. 那,那个(指代前面句子里提到的)
They said you particularly wanted to talk to me. Why was that?.
他们说你特别想和我谈谈。为什么?
'Hey, is there anything the matter with my sisters?' — 'Is that why you're phoning?'.
“喂,我的姐妹们没事儿吧?”—“你打电话就为这个?”
Some members feared Germany might raise its interest rates on Thursday. That could have set the scene for a confrontation with the US.
一些成员国担心德国可能于星期四提高利率,那有可能导致其与美国发生冲突。
That is also a determiner.
The most important purpose of our Health Care is to support you when making a claim for medical treatment. For that reason the claims procedure is as simple and helpful as possible.
2DET 那个人,那个(用来指代已经提到的人或物) You use that to refer to someone or something already mentioned. 那个人,那个(用来指代已经提到的人或物)
The Commissioners get between £50,000 and 60,000 a year in various allowances. But that amount can soar to 90,000 a year.
委员们每年领取的各种津贴在 5 万到 6 万英镑之间,但最高可达 9 万英镑。
The biggest increase was on the cheapest model, the CRX-HF. That car had a 1990 base price of $9,145.
涨价最快的是最便宜的车型 CRX-HF,那款车 1990 年的基价是 9,145 美元。
3DET 那,那个(指已经谈到过的特定时期) When you have been talking about a particular period of time, you use that to indicate that you are still referring to the same period. You use expressions such as that morning or that afternoon to indicate that you are referring to an earlier period of the same day. 那,那个(指已经谈到过的特定时期)
The story was published in a Sunday newspaper later that week.
这篇报道于那周晚些时候刊登在一份周日报纸上。
That morning I had put on a pair of black slacks and a long-sleeved black blouse.
那天早上,我穿了一条宽松的黑裤子和一件长袖黑衬衫。
4PRON (用于 that of, that which 等短语中引出有关上文提到的某事物的更多信息,而避免重复相关名词) You use that in expressions such as that of and that which to introduce more information about something already mentioned, instead of repeating the noun which refers to it. (用于 that of, that which 等短语中引出有关上文提到的某事物的更多信息,而避免重复相关名词) [formal]
A recession like that of 1973–1974 could put one in ten American companies into bankruptcy.
像 1973–1974 年间那样的经济衰退能让 1/10 的美国公司破产。
Indoor pollution falls into two categories, that which we can see or smell, and pollution which is invisible and produces no odour.
室内污染分为两种:一种是我们能看得见或闻得着的,另一种是无色无味的。
5PRON 那个,那(用于对前述内容表示同意或作出应答的词和词组前) You use that in front of words or expressions which express agreement, responses, or reactions to what has just been said. 那个,那(用于对前述内容表示同意或作出应答的词和词组前)
'She said she'd met you in England.' — 'That's true.'.
“她说她在英格兰见过你。”—“是的。”
'I've never been to Paris.' — 'That's a pity. You should go one day.'
“我从没去过巴黎。”—“可惜了,你什么时候应该去一次。”
6DET 那一个,那个(引出将要更加详细介绍的人或物) You use that to introduce a person or thing that you are going to give details or information about. 那一个,那个(引出将要更加详细介绍的人或物) [formal]
In my case I chose that course which I considered right.
至于我呢,就选择了我认为正确的那条路线。
That person who violates the law and discriminates should suffer in his career.
非法歧视他人的人在事业上应该受到惩戒。
That which is used to introduce a subject in very general terms.
Too much time is spent worrying over that which one can't change.
太多的时间花在了担心那些我们无力改变的事情上。
7DET 那个(指代在时间、空间上离自己稍远的人或物,尤用于指示;有两个以上的事物时,that 指较远的那个) You use that when you are referring to someone or something which is a distance away from you in position or time, especially when you indicate or point to them. When there are two or more things near you, that refers to the more distant one. 那个(指代在时间、空间上离自己稍远的人或物,尤用于指示;有两个以上的事物时,that 指较远的那个)
Look at that guy. He's got red socks.
你看那边那个家伙,他穿着双红袜子。
Where did you get that hat?.
你那顶帽子在哪儿买的?
You see that man over there, that man who has just walked into the room?
你看见那边那个人了吗,就是刚走进房间的那个人?
That is also a pronoun.
Leo, what's that you're writing?.
利奥,你写的那个是什么呀?
That looks heavy. May I carry it for you?
那东西看上去很沉。要我帮你提吗?
8PRON (用于指明或询问身份) You use that when you are identifying someone or asking about their identity. (用于指明或询问身份)
That's my wife you were talking to.
刚才和你说话的人是我老婆。
That's John Gibb, operations chief for New York Emergency Management.
那个人是约翰·吉布,纽约应急管理办公室的行动总指挥官。
'Who's that with you?' — 'A friend of mine.'.
“和你在一块儿的那人是谁?”—“一个朋友。”
I answered the phone and this voice went, 'Hello? Is that Alison?'
我拿起电话,就听到这个声音:“喂?是艾利森吗?”
9DET (不需明确指出的情况下谈话对方即可能知道所指的人或物)那个 You can use that when you expect the person you are talking to to know what or who you are referring to, without needing to identify the particular person or thing fully. (不需明确指出的情况下谈话对方即可能知道所指的人或物)那个 [spoken]
I really thought I was something when I wore that hat and my patent leather shoes.
我头戴那顶帽子,脚蹬漆皮鞋,当时感觉挺像那么回事儿。
Did you get that cheque I sent?.
你收到我寄给你的那张支票了吗?
That idiot porter again knocked on my door!
那个白痴行李工又来敲我的门了!
That is also a pronoun.
That was a terrible case of blackmail in the paper today.
今天报上登的那宗勒索案真可怕。
That was a good year, wasn't it?
那年年景不错,是吧?
10ADV [ADVERB adjective/adverb]不太,不那么(坏、滑稽、昂贵等) If something is not that bad, funny, or expensive for example, it is not as bad, funny, or expensive as it might be or as has been suggested. 不太,不那么(坏、滑稽、昂贵等)
Not even Gary, he said, was that stupid.
他说,就连加里也没有那么蠢。
It isn't that funny.
没有那么好笑。
He didn't look that bad.
他看上去没那么坏。
Kids don't change that fast.
小孩子变化不会那么快。
11ADV [ADVERB adjective/adverb]那么,那样(用于强调感情或品质的程度之深) You can use that to emphasize the degree of a feeling or quality. 那么,那样(用于强调感情或品质的程度之深) [informal, emphasis]
I would have walked out, I was that angry.
我差点中途退席,我太生气了。
Do I look that stupid?.
我看起来有那么蠢吗?
They actually moved down from upstairs because the rent's that expensive.
13PHRASE 等等;诸如此类 You use and all that or and that to refer generally to everything else which is associated with what you have just mentioned. 等等;诸如此类 [informal, vagueness]
I hate to be nasty and all that.
我不想讲些难听的话什么的。
I'm not a cook myself but I am interested in nutrition and that.
我本人不是厨师,但对营养之类的事很感兴趣。
14PHRASE 此外,而且(用于陈述之后,修饰或强调所说的话) You use at that after a statement which modifies or emphasizes what you have just said. 此外,而且(用于陈述之后,修饰或强调所说的话) [emphasis]
Success never seems to come but through hard work, often physically demanding work at that.
不付出艰苦的努力似乎就不会取得成功,而且这一努力通常要劳其筋骨。
The café was popular with locals, and not with the more respectable locals at that.
那家咖啡馆很受当地人欢迎,不过不包括当地那些更有身份的人。
15PHRASE 就是说;即;换句话说 You use that is or that is to say to indicate that you are about to express the same idea more clearly or precisely. 就是说;即;换句话说
I am a disappointing, though generally dutiful, student. That is, I do as I'm told.
我虽然总的来说循规蹈矩,但依然是个令人失望的学生,就是说,叫我做什么我就做什么。
Education Ministers ought to have placed the interests of consumers — that is to say pupils — first.
教育部长们应该把服务对象—也就是学生—的利益放在首位。
16PHRASE 就这样,好了(表示不必再做什么或目的已经达到) You use that's it to indicate that nothing more needs to be done or that the end has been reached. 就这样,好了(表示不必再做什么或目的已经达到)
When he left the office, that was it, the workday was over.
他一离开办公室,就此打住,一天的工作就结束了。
17CONVENTION 对,是这样(表示同意、赞许) You use that's it to express agreement with or approval of what has just been said or done. 对,是这样(表示同意、赞许) [formulae]
'You got married, right?' — 'Yeah, that's it.'
“你结婚了吧?”—“嗯,结了。”
18PHRASE 就那样(强调某事突然发生、立即做完或过程很简单,常指未加思考、讨论) You use just like that to emphasize that something happens or is done immediately or in a very simple way, often without much thought or discussion. 就那样(强调某事突然发生、立即做完或过程很简单,常指未加思考、讨论) [informal, emphasis]
Just like that, I was in love.
就那样,我恋爱了。
You mean he sent you back just like that?
你是说他就那样把你打发回来啦?
19PHRASE 就这样,就这么定了(表示无能为力、无话可说) You use that's that to say there is nothing more you can do or say about a particular matter. 就这样,就这么定了(表示无能为力、无话可说) [spoken]
'Well, if that's the way you want it,' he replied, tears in his eyes, 'I guess that'sthat.'
“好吧,如果那就是你想要的,”他两眼含泪说道,“我想那就这样吧。”
'I want you to go home.' — 'I'm staying here, and that'sthat.'
“我想让你回家。”—“我就待在这儿,就这么定了。”
20like that→see: like this and that→see: this this,that and the other→see: this
1CONJ-SUBORD (用于动词、形容词、名词、短语之后,引导间接引语从句) You can use that after many verbs, adjectives, nouns, and expressions to introduce a clause in which you report what someone has said, or what they think or feel. (用于动词、形容词、名词、短语之后,引导间接引语从句)
He called her up one day and said that he and his wife were coming to New York.
有一天,他给她打电话,说他和妻子要来纽约。
We were worried that she was going to die.
我们很担心她快要死了。
I welcome the news that attacks on women on the railways are 19 per cent down.
铁路上发生的袭击妇女事件下降了 19%,这一情况我听了很高兴。
2CONJ-SUBORD (用于“it+系动词+形容词”结构之后,表示评论) You use that after 'it' and a link verb and an adjective to comment on a situation or fact. (用于“it+系动词+形容词”结构之后,表示评论)
It's interesting that you like him.
你喜欢他,这真有意思。
I've made up my mind, but it's obvious that you need more time to think.
我已经拿定了主意,但你显然还需要更多时间来考虑。
It's extraordinary that he left without making a public statement about the situation.
他没有发表关于形势的公开声明就走了,真是反常。
3PRON-REL (引导从句,以提供更多有关谈论对象的信息) You use that to introduce a clause which gives more information to help identify the person or thing you are talking about. (引导从句,以提供更多有关谈论对象的信息)
...pills that will make the problem disappear.
能消除该症状的药丸
...a car that won't start.
发动不起来的汽车
You should have learned to walk away from things that don't concern you.
你早就应该学会不去多管闲事。
...the house that they have lived in throughout their married lives.
他们婚后一直居住的那所房子
4CONJ-SUBORD (用在 so,such 之后,引出结果或影响) You use that after expressions with 'so' and 'such' in order to introduce the result or effect of something. (用在 so,such 之后,引出结果或影响)
She became so nervous that she shook violently.
她太紧张了,浑身抖得厉害。
She came towards me so quickly that she knocked a chair over.
她飞快地朝我这边走来,把一张椅子都撞翻了。
Unfortunately it made such a revolting brew that it was worse than drinking no tea at all.
不幸的是,所沏的茶实在难喝,还不如不喝呢。
The effect on our blood chemistry is such that it produces physical changes in our entire body.